Saturday, March 2, 2013

Cat Pee Lady

I ran 3 miles in less than 30 minutes today. I know that's pretty average, but I am inordinately pleased. I barely squeaked to the 30-minute mark sometime last fall (and almost died) before we all started getting sick/injured/abducted by aliens, and everything since has been a slog. Today was easy. It felt great. I wanted to keep running, but I was out of time.

Both children are growing like bamboo shoots. Or maybe more of a Little Shop of Horrors plant. They have been voracious eaters lately. I feel like they're both a year old again; I used to have days where I would clean out almost the entire refrigerator trying to find more and more and more food to give them for lunch. They eagerly eat things like green beans now. Emmy ate an entire chicken breast and half a pound of green beans last night at supper (I only made a pound). She ignored her potatoes completely, which is baffling.

Maybe this is actually Invasion of the Body Snatchers II: Extreme Eaters.

My washing machine is making me crazy. I've had to clean it every few months with a good hot wash (our hot water is scalding, so it's not that) or two with bleach, or OxyClean, or vinegar, or tea tree oil, sometimes all of those in succession. I wash my clothes with hippie detergents, no fabric softener, vinegar for clean rinsing, baking soda. If the water looks at all cloudy on the last rinse cycle, I run another rinse cycle (yes, I know, I'm kind of weird about laundry).

I have tried non-hippie detergents as well, along with borax, washing soda, and Calgon.

I have called maintenance about it, and three different maintenance guys have told me there is nothing wrong, even after taking the tub thing out and looking on the very inside. So you might think I'm losing my marbles. I think I might be.

But my clothes sometimes come out smelling like cat pee. No one in this house pees anywhere but the toilet anymore (allegedly). We don't have a cat. I wash workout clothes every two days or so.

The worst part is that sometimes the smell doesn't emerge until my body heat gets into the clothing. At the gym. Where I'm among people. Who think I have 80 cats and don't take care of them or myself.

The one thing I have not tried yet is Affresh. If I can find that, I will try it. But I just cleaned the washer out a week ago, and that smell is back, so it's happening more frequently. I feel like my nose is growing a superpower or something.

I do not want to be known as the cat pee lady.

No comments:

Post a Comment