Thursday, May 16, 2013

Lamest Superpower Ever


I had my first PT appointment today. I keep trying to write "TP," which brings a whole new (and probably more interesting) meaning to this entry. They gave me to a student therapist first, who had me wave my arms in different directions and tested my strength in different directions (I am surprisingly strong, he said, so there's that). It turns out that my shoulders are hypermobile. It sounds like a superpower, right? More like a defect, although it is probably part of the reason I'm above average at swimming.

This is also the reason I have issues with my posture. No matter how hard I try to sit up straight and stand up straight, I have the Mom Hunch. Blelgh. Hate it. I makes me look shorter and even stockier up top.

When the main guy came over, the student was kind of excited and was all, "Hey, try the Jungerson-Manx [or something] test on her shoulders." And the main guy did, and said, "Whoah," and the student said, "See what I mean?" They did a few more "Try the..." "Whoah" "See what I mean?" exchanges after this. I felt like an unusual yet special specimen. I expect to contribute to Shoulder Science in a big way someday.

The phrase "loosey goosey" was thrown around a lot. They gave me a bunch of exercises to do every other day, and I go back in two weeks. He asked if I was good at doing my homework. Inside, I said, "Uuuuuhh.... Welll..." Outside, I smiled unnaturally and said "Yes!" like if I said it with enough conviction, it would be true.

I joke, but this is homework I will do. I will do it regularly. I will WIN at physical therapy. I will be the valedictorian of physical therapy.

No comments:

Post a Comment