Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Shaun the Sheep!

The children must have sensed my mood, or maybe whatever was making them unbearable was also making me cranky. I spent all day Saturday until about 2:00 in a funk. Angry, tired, sad, and no idea why. So I dragged myself onto the elliptical and set it for forty minutes, intending to take a long but easy workout. Instead, after about five minutes, I got going at a good clip, and worked my up to an angry sprint by the end. No, I'm not in that good of shape, and I'm still feeling the effects, but it certainly cured me of my bad mood. I've been on a high ever since.

As for the kids, they've never had such a long streak of delightfulness at the same time. One or the other is usually quite pleasant, but their good streaks rarely overlap like this.

I find that children's behavior is not a steady increase in goodness. I mean, duh, right? But I kind of lull myself into this complacent security when either of them is being particularly pleasant for more than a few days, Grace especially.

And I never learn. It always surprises me when she starts acting up again. Bad behavior usually precedes a milestone of some kind. The time before last, it was her leap into speaking in real sentences. This time, I think it was some kind of internal shift. I haven't noticed any particular developments that I can put my finger on, but she suddenly seems so very Little Girl and not Baby at all.

We don't watch too much TV. I'm not anti-TV; it just doesn't occur to me. We don't have any good channels, and it's more of a bother to get everything opened (baby lock on TV cabinet), turned on, set up, closed back up again, and on the right channel than it is to just find something else to do, or let Grace entertain herself.

But lately in the evenings, after Emmy goes to bed, we've been keeping Grace up for an hour longer. All three of us climb on the bed, Grace between us, and we watch Shaun the Sheep on Netflix. That show is hysterical, people. There's no dialogue. Grace likes the SHEEP! DOGGIE! PEEG! and Jeremy I like how funny it is. I highly recommend it, especially to those of you who loathe children's television as much as I do. It's on demand, so you don't even have to wait for the DVDs to come.

Speaking of which, I have shows to watch. It's been a few days since I sat around during naptime.

No comments:

Post a Comment