Sunday, August 15, 2010

Good day

We spent the day at my mother-in-law's house today. It was a really nice visit. Grace warms up to her more quickly than almost anyone else (she's always shy initially, even with people she sees pretty frequently). Sometimes I think kids can sense warmth and kindness in other people. That sounds so hokey, but I think it's true. I'm not unkind (mostly), but I'm also not very comfortable around small kids. Even the ones I know and like. Which is probably why they always look at me like I'm nuts when I try to play with them.

My mother-in-law has this gorgeous blue and red parrot named Chloe. Grace has spasms every time she sees it. "BEAK! BEAK! Nose. *snort* BEAK! Mouth. BIRD!" I've explained to her that a beak is a nose and a mouth ALL IN ONE, and that concept just blows her mind. Also, she loves the word "beak." I don't know why.

(The snort is to demonstrate how the nose functions; she started doing this a few days ago. It would be cute if it weren't also gross.)

We watched Avatar. Everything I'd heard about it completely turned me off. I hate movies with A Very Important Message, even if it's one I agree with. You know, the movies that take an idea and smack you over the head with it repeatedly, then slap a lame storyline over the top of it and call it a "film." *cough* Happy Feet *cough*

(It should not even be possible to make a movie about little penguins unenjoyable, but somehow they managed.)

But I really liked Avatar. Good movie. The message was pretty obvious, but it didn't annoy me as much as it could have. When it was over, I found myself wishing I could go visit that world.

We ate steak (oooh, steak), sat around and talked, played with the babies, who were both happy for most of the day. It was nice. I always feel so cozy and relaxed there. We need to visit more often. I just hate schlepping two pack 'n' plays and 800 diapers around.


Speaking of which, I SUCK at keeping in touch with people. People who aren't even that far away. I hate this about myself. I've let a few good friendships nearly die because of this stupid guilt-shame-procrastination spiral: lose touch, feel guilty, put off picking up the phone because I'm embarrassed, feel more guilty, put it off even more, and so on. Part of it is this weird telephone phobia I've developed in the last several years, but I can't blame it on that. The Internet took that excuse away.

How do you people with multiple long-distance friendships do it?


Dentist appointment tomorrow. Thank goodness. I forgot about my stupid teeth earlier today and downed the last of Grace's cold milk after supper. My jaw exploded in pins and needles. I could feel my pulse in my teeth for the next hour. Nnngh.


Emmy is crawling. Oh my gosh. It just... happened today. She JUST started getting up on her hands and knees and rocking. She's no good at crawling. It's a very awkward process: get up on all fours, put every ounce of effort into keeping balance while scooting one knee forward, then one hand forward, then flop on face. But she knows what she's doing.

The kid can't even SIT yet, people. I don't even know.

I do know one thing: we need more booze in this house.

No comments:

Post a Comment