Wednesday, March 4, 2009

From large to extra large in five short months

I think someone is starting her six-month growth spurt early. For the last couple weeks, she's been napping beautifully during the day, usually falling asleep right away, then going two hours at a time before I wake her up. Well. Hah. This morning, I put her down for her nap at her usual time. Shrieking ensued. I did the pat-her-every-ten-minutes-and-tell-her-I-love-her thing for 45 minutes. When we were just starting out the enforced napping, I expected this, and it didn't worry me.

Well, today it was clear that something was wrong. These weren't intermittent I-don't-want-to-sleep shrieks; they were full-blown gurgly someone-is-killing-me shrieks. I fully expected to go in there to find her being stabbed to death by whatever it is that's haunting our house. But she was dry, warm, and didn't seem to have gas. She seemed hungry. No, she seemed HOOOOONGREEEEE. So I fed her. And she gulped and gulped and gulped away, like it was the first and last meal of her life. Normally, if she's eaten less than three hours ago, it's a struggle to get her to eat anything at all. I'm hoping it's just a growth spurt and I didn't totally screw up our nice, established routine.


Speaking of hauntings, I was mostly joking. But this house gives me the creeps sometimes. There are the normal creaks a house makes when it settles. There's the whumpf of the furnace and water heater turning on. But there are also other crazy noises, and sometimes The Child will stare fixedly at something over my shoulder and begin screaming. I don't believe in ghosts, but I still get the heebies. Especially when I'm singing to her in the dark before I put her to bed. I'm sure it's just my overactive imagination, but I always feel like something is leering over my shoulder.


I've agreed to help my pastor's wife with a baby shower in a couple weeks. Any suggestions for quick, delicious foods? I'm already going to make some of that garlic dip and some of that chocolate fruit dip I made for Awesome Friend's shower. I still have dreams about those. Anything else?

No comments:

Post a Comment