Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Who wants a cute baby? Just for a day?

I wrote myself one of those lame quizzes on Facebook (you are welcome to check it out): "How well do you know _________?" I entitled it, "I'm a narcissist!" The joke is that I kind of am. I have a blog, people, and the number one pronoun used on that blog is "I". Followed closely by "me".


Speaking of me, I need friends, people. How do you make friends in a tiny town when you don't go to school, church or work there, and when all your neighbors are either unfriendly or waaaay outside your age/family situation demographic. Not that I'm only willing to make friends with hip 20-somethings who have babies, but it'd be really nice to have some mom friends. I am an extrovert. I need to meet some people around here, or I will probably slash my wrists. (not really, don't worry)

Today is one of those days. No car today; it's James's week to drive. I'm stuck inside because it's hot out, and heat triggers my nausea (*sob* normally I love ridiculously hot weather). That means no walk. That means feeling blah. That means I'm impatient with Grace, and she gets cranky, and so I'm more impatient, and no housework gets down, and everyone's unhappy, and poor James comes home from a long day of work to find a messy home and a crazy wife and a grouchy baby. Yay!

So I'm not typically this Debbie Downer, but dudes, I am lonely on days like today. I know I chose this life. I chose to be a stay-at-home-mom, and most days I wouldn't trade it for anything. Today? I want to run away. Just for a couple hours. I even called people. On the telephone. Everyone is busy.


In other news, our upstairs hallway remains half-painted. I painted it halfway in a nesting frenzy a few days ago, and it's been so hot and humid that that idea has been out ever since. It would just gum onto the walls and slowly seep toward the floor. Not so awesome. The one good thins is that it looks completely idiotic, and it lifts my spirits a little bit every time I walk through it.


The Child is sleeping again. I suppose I have that to be thankful for. In fact, yesterday she slept until 9 (9! That's 13 hours of sleep!), and today it was 8:30. Weirdo.


Time to do something around here, even if it's just to pick up the dining room table. I find that if the dining room looks neat (the first room you see when you open the door), the rest of the house feels neater. Yes, I have learned to cheat and deceive at housewifery. And I'm proud of it.

4 comments:

  1. I hate computers. I wrote a comment and hit a button and the whole thing disappeared.

    At my house, speed cleaning consists of:
    Make the bed (makes the whole bedroom look clean)
    Throw away trash/recycling
    Put dirty dishes in kitchen
    Dirty clothes into laundry room
    Clean clothes away (or at least consolidate piles into ONE pile in ONE room)

    Just doing those things makes the whole house feel clean, which means I'm now wondering if that says something about me... (i have so much trash that just throwing it away makes the whole house seem cleaner?)

    I wish I could meet people too. With the new baby coming in less than a month, though, I'm not sure it would do me any good at the moment; they would decide I didn't want to be their friend because I'll be out of pocket for like 3 weeks :P

    Also, I added you on Facebook so maybe when you're lonely and I'm lonely we can harass each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Putting clean clothes away! That is my worst. That and doing dishes. I can go weeks without putting laundry away. I love washing it, and I love folding it, but putting it away is like pulling teeth. I don't count doing the dishes as speed cleaning because it takes forever. We rinse the food off as we put them on the counter to wait for washing, so it's not like they're getting all nasty and gross, but still... a week's worth of dishes on my counter is not uncommon, and it's ew. I hate a dirty kitchen.

    If I had a new friend who was about to have a baby, I would be all over that. New babies are just about the best thing in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm horrible at keeping the house neat myself. I agree about making the beds, though; it makes the bedrooms look like they're actually clean. Even if there are baby toys all over the floor. And where does all the paperwork come from? Is it at all related to the fact that I haven't put any paperwork in the filing cabinet for... months?

    We just moved to a new area hundreds of miles from where I've lived all my life, so I'm with you on making friends. At least it's not a small town, though, so there definitely *are* people around, it's just meeting them that's the complication. Still trying to find a church and all that. I found a mom's playgroup organization that sorts you into a playgroup based on your children's ages, but they gave me a playgroup of babies... nice, but it's my toddler who wants friends to play with.

    Wish you lived nearby, then we could hang out. But I think the several hundred miles would probably make it difficult to do playdates. I hope you do find some people nearby soon! In the meantime, you can always hang out online and update your blog. :) And I'm sure plenty of us would be willing to share phone numbers if you wanted to talk to somebody.

    ReplyDelete
  4. *wandered over from EHell*

    One of my good friends found a group of young moms on meetup.com (I think? I'm not sure of the website). She found a group of young moms and playmates for her son. That worked really well.

    Tizzy

    ReplyDelete