Friday, January 9, 2009

I wonder where she got it from.

A dah dah dah dah dah.

Agh!

The Child, she hates naps. But she so clearly needs at least a little sleep during the day. Part of the reason I'm so behind on things like housework and getting my butt back into shape is that my rear end is cemented to the couch, and my foot to the bouncy seat. I can wear a sling only so long before I start feeling like the Hunchback.

I'm sure I'm going to get a lot of HATE BAD MOTHER NEGLECT! for this, but right now she's upstairs in her crib crying. And I'm sitting down here on my computer. Don't worry. I only let her cry for a couple minutes at a time. It's not like she's up there all alone and scared. She's upset because she knows she's sleepy, and she's fighting it. It's not because she thinks she's been abandoned. She does the same thing if I'm bouncing or rocking her during the day, and she's sleepy.

If she weren't such an awesome night sleeper, I might be a little more frantic about her resistance to naps. But since I usually get at least seven hours of sleep a night (sometimes up to nine hours. NINE!), I can handle just about anything. I would like her to learn how to nap, though. She learned how to sleep at night at a very young age (not by me leaving her in her crib to cry, either), so I know she's capable of it.

So, to summarize:

1) Child sleeps just fine at night without me rocking her to sleep.
2) Child is sleepy during the day but will not sleep without me bouncing her through a nap.
3) Even when I do bounce her, she fights sleep tooth and nail for at least ten minutes before she drops off.
4) I'm not neglecting her; I got in and pat her and tell her I love her every few minutes.
5) If she learns to nap, it will benefit both of us, not just me. But its benefit to me will be a benefit to her, too.
6) I know she CAN sleep on her own because she does such a great job of it at night.
7) HALP

ALSO: I do wait to put her down until her natural sleepy times. I don't just throw her in the bedroom with the lights out at random times and expect her to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment