Friday, February 15, 2013

Spring! Almost!

Do you know what happens when you're stuck in your apartment for a month with sick babies and a sinus infection that just won't quit? Let me tell you.

1. Cabin fever. This winter so far was going really well. Most years, I turn into a homicidal maniac between late September and late March, but this year was great. My mood took a little downturn when fall started, but I didn't shake knives in anyone's face or strip naked and start a bonfire in the middle of the street. Then January happened. Oh, January. I hate you. I gained five pounds and lost a huge amount of endurance. And I've been prowling around the house snarling like a wolverine at anything that talks too loud or moves too much (also known as small children being normal small children).

2. The kids get mopey. My kids, like me, seem to need lots of sunshine and exercise to feel happy. They are like tiny Eeyores now.

3. The euphoria of relief is almost worth going through January. We are all better, for real this time. I think. Two days ago I was in such a great mood and couldn't figure out why. Then I realized that everyone was healthy, and it's starting to feel like spring. This wasn't an exceptionally good mood; this was normal for me. And it felt amazing.

I managed to do some form of exercise throughout this whole thing, just not as much as I'd have liked. I crave comfort foods during the winter, and there isn't much good produce in season anyway. But now I am just DONE with the comfort foods. The thought of them makes me want to gag. I don't even want to look at pasta. My Pinterest boards are full of recipes I have previously loved, but don't want to have anything to do with anymore (either because I'm sick of them, or because they're too wintery). Some of you gave me good ideas on Facebook yesterday, but feel free to give me some here, too. I know I'll feel even better when I start eating better.

No comments:

Post a Comment