Thursday, February 9, 2012

I bet they'd NEVER steal my credit card number

I got this email today:

Subject: About your blogspot.com - blog. Please read.

Hello Dear, we saw your blog at http://tightwadintraining.blogspot.com and wanted to get in touch with you. We like your blog and would like to offer you a cooperation. Here is a Coupon with a 5% discount on all orders at our fashion online store http://risingtaste.com (coupon: blogspot2012). You may use it for your personal use or make a article about http://risingtaste.com at your blog. I hope you like our gift. Yours Risingtaste.com

Okay, I thought, so I shouldn't discriminate just because someone doesn't have a perfect grasp of English. You should hear some of my Spanish. Doesn't mean I can't properly serve drinks to a bunch of Spanish-speaking restaurant patrons, right? Well, usually.

Also, 5% off! I will take 5% off! Sure! Even if it is odd that you're peddling your wares to a blog that hasn't been updated in forever.

Instead of clicking on the link itself, I typed in the address. You know how spammers can be tricksy. I didn't get a virus, which is good. It's pretty much goal in any sort of interaction (having low standards makes life a lot more enjoyable).

The tagline is "Risingtaste - Where taste meets fashion." Which... seems redundant. "Risingtaste - Where pain meets terrible burns." Or, on a more positive note, "Risingtaste - Where humor meets comedy." But, again, grasp of the language doesn't necessarily mean anything, right?

Then I went to look at their clothes. I found a few cute things, but they all have the same size: "Free Size" I don't know what that means. But I also noticed that everything was under $15, which sounded crazy to me. Then I noticed in fine print under the tagline: "Wholesale clothing from China." Which got me all suspicious, so I went to their "About us!" page. And it seemed rather, well, defensive. Some choice quotes:

We are legally registered as a private company in ZHEJIANG, CHINA, and have received business license from CHINA government. Purchase at risingtaste.com indicates safe and well-managed trade.


Translation: We're totally shady and suspicious, but please buy from us anyway because the CHINESE GOVERNMENT is okay with us.

We have our own factory in Linhai, Zhejiang. also, in order to provide more styles(more than 6000 styles ),we ally with many clothing manufacturers specializing in producing export clothing in SHANGHAI,GUANGZHOU and ZHEJIANG of China, which enables us to provide trendy styles in massive amount and in remarkably low wholesale price. Now we are the best supplier to wholesalers, retailers and boutiques online or entities shops all over the world.


Translation: "We're a gigantic sweatshop. We rip off styles from manufacturers around the world and pay minuscule wages to provide you with thin, jersey-knit shirts at ridiculously low prices."

Photobucket


What? It looks like prison? Nooo. But look at all the natural light that these hundreds of women have to work in, with their nice sewing areas. We also feed them twice per day!

2 comments:

  1. I'm not seeing a problem here. They seem totally legit and trustworthy. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you're saying you'll do a test-buy for me?

    ReplyDelete