Sunday, January 29, 2012

This one jumps all over the place

Grace has a fever. She claimed her ear hurt right before bed, too. Joy.

I think it's probably this virus's last hurrah. She's not acting sick, and she pointed to her outer ear, but I'm still annoyed. I'd say I can't bear another bout of sickness, but obviously I can. It's not like I'm going to run away or croak. And a person as selfish as me could probably stand a little more trial by fire (okay, weak candlelight) anyway.

We put our children to bed early tonight. They seemed very tired. They were silent within minutes. And then, half an hour later, Grumpy the Dwarf woke up and started jabbering to herself. It's been an hour and a half and she's still talking away. To what, I don't know. Her toes? Crib bars? The flower print on her crib sheet? Is she like that lady in "The Yellow Wallpaper" who goes mad while she's shut in her bedroom?

We also babysat the neighbor kids tonight. Jeremy and I took turns going upstairs and watching them. The two boys were asleep by the time I got up there. The girls were still running all around the apartment like crazy things, jumping off chairs (this is okay with their dad), doing somersaults, giggling hysterically.

The picture I paint might not say "FUN!" but it kind of was. These kids have, uh, LOTS of energy, but they're really sweet. The littlest one is a little older than Emmy, but about half her weight. She fell off a stool onto her nose and started wailing. I picked her up, the wails turned to sniffles and hiccups, and the sniffles and hiccups turned to snores. I COULD NOT PUT HER DOWN. FOR AN HOUR. DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH MY ARMS HURT.

Worth it.

The other one talks a mile a minute, but something about her is just so engaging. I'm sure I'd be exhausted if she were my child 24/7, but for a couple of hours, it's a lot of fun. She seemed really interested in my piano when I babysat them last time. I know next to nothing about teaching someone to play, but I think it might be fun to try.

When Jeremy went away, I got sick. But I had to function. So I took a lot of Sudafed. The real kind. Did you know that Sudafed is also an appetite suppressant? I didn't. I lost five pounds completely by accident. I was shaky and weak by the end of each day, so it wasn't the sort of weight loss I would like to continue, but it put me over some kind of threshold. I'm still losing weight (two more pounds so far), and I suddenly have buckets of energy. I feel really young all of a sudden.

I got up to 1300 yards today swimming. It may have been more, but I tend to lose count, and when I do that I add an extra 50 yards to whatever I'm doing. I lost count four times today, so it might have been as much as 1500 yards.

It's AWESOME. I know I overuse that word, but it's so true. There's something wonderful about walking in looking like the most out-of-shape person in the pool (Gold's Gym attracts every single ultra-fit person in a five-mile radius), getting in, and smoking all of them. During my warm-up.

Someone please tell me why I ever quit. Dumbest thing I've ever done.

No comments:

Post a Comment