Thursday, August 14, 2008

Big Honkin Giant Child

I'm here to talk about the ultrasound today. She refused to show her face, so we didn't get the sweet 3D ultrasound. But! Everything looks normal and healthy.

And she's also measuring around 6 lbs 7 oz. At 32 weeks. This is 96th percentile for size. If she goes to term, and if she grows at average rates (about a half a pound a week), we're looking at a 10.5 lb baby.

Oh this is TEH AWESOME PLEASE TO GIVE DRUGS NOW.

I was all optimistic about toughing it out and not have an epidural or anything, but dudes. That's a seriously huge baby. I'm 5'5" and weighed about 145 pre-pregnancy. And that was about the upper end of my crazy weight fluctuation. I'm usually between 135 and 140. I have small bones. And am a sissy.

Now, ultrasounds aren't totally accurate when it comes to estimating size; she could be as small as 5 lbs 2 oz. Oh, but that still spells out BIG FREAKING BABY IN FUTURE. It could go the other way, too; she could be about 7 lbs. 11 oz. right now, which means a full-term baby the size of a sheep.

I'm going to quit now before I get any more drama queen.


*I should add that, one, my uterus (because I'm twelve, I shudder every time I read/hear that word, but sometimes there's no getting around it) is also measuring about four weeks ahead of the general rule of thumb (1 cm per week of pregnancy). That's not a totally hard-and-fast rule, of course, but it's there.

Also, giant babies run in James's side of the family (James was 10.5 pounds). Normal-sized on mine. Giant heads, though? We've got them in spades. Two clans of supercephaloids are converging in my womb as we speak. Big shoulders, too (they almost had to break James's collarbone to get him out).

The doctor's office did assure me that estimates taken by ultrasound are not an exact science, and they did tell me what the error was. That's how I got those high and low numbers. It still works out to a decent sized child.

But I am feeling a little better. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment